Membership of ADI is open only to programs that have been accredited by ADI.
ADI has no membership category for organizations working towards attaining ADI Accreditation but recognizes their efforts in striving to meet criteria for ADI Accreditation and membership. ADI encourages the provision of assistance dogs around the world and will provide assistance to Candidates who have a goal to be accredited by ADI.
Accredited Members must be fully accredited by either ADI or the International Guide Dog federation. In addition, in order to retain membership, Accredited Members must pay the agreed annual fees, undertake re-accreditation when required and pay any required accreditation fees. Membership fees should be paid to the Coordinator of the regional chapter where ones exist in the agreed regional currency, or to the International Coordinator (in $US funds) where not.
Accredited members have voting rights and are able to attend all ADI and regional meetings.
Candidate Status will be offered to “not-for-profit” organizations that train and place Assistance Dogs that meet the eligibility criteria.
The Candidate organization must:
- Be a registered legal entity with charitable status (e.g. 501 (c) (3).
- Have a creditable business plan
- Be a developing an Assistance Dog service, which has produced at least 3 (three) assistance dog teams, that have worked successfully for a minimum of 1 (one) year.
To request a New Candidate packet please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
All new Candidates must submit the following items with their request
1. A completed Candidate Request Packet
- Information page – Provide the signed agreement to adhere to the Standards and Ethics accepted by ADI for Hearing Dogs, Service Dogs, Guide and Social/Therapy Dogs from the organization’s president. Click here to view our Standards.
- Candidate Data Base Listing
- Fee page
- Training Survey
- Public Access Training Survey
- Current Year Census
2. Written Mission Statement indicating the intent to provide Assistance Dogs.
3. A copy of your organizations Business Plan
4. Describe the reason(s) why you wish to become a Candidate of ADI
5. Provide a written reference from an existing ADI Accredited Member (This must be submitted with your candidate request. Please do not have the ADI Accredited member send it under separate cover. It will not be accepted.
6. Proof of nonprofit status, Charitable status or 501 (c) (3).
7. Sample or mock ID issued to student/graduate team.
8. Reference of three (3) assistance dog placements, which have worked successfully for a minimum of one (1) year.
9. Candidate Application Processing Fee (This fee is nonrefundable. If accepted as a Candidate of ADI this fee applies to 1st year of candidate status).